Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have another question for you guys. I decided to check my flywheel after I noticed the motor making a weird sound when it was at low rpms. So I took the cover off and grabbed hold of it, and noticed it has a lot of in and out movement, didnt really notice any up and down or side to side, but I will check that again. Any ideas of what could be wrong? The flywheel is tight, and when you pulll it out, the threaded shaft its on moves with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not really familiar with the 250r motor specifically, but this sort of play has to be due to either slack in the bearings or
a loose bolt or gear loose on the clutch side and /or the bearings loosening in the case, or crankshaft loosening inside the bearings.

Sometimes when a bearing locks up (dry and overheated, full of grit or cast piston pieces) and the crankshaft continues to turn, you can a spin a bearing, which messes up the press fit between bearing and (crank or case). Sometimes when the bottom end is replaced the damage i is just cleaned up, ruining the sensitive press fit, which can and will cause things to loosen up in the future.

You said up/down and front /back was tight so depending on how bad it is , It could just be normal slack in the bearings as well. I am not sure how much play is acceptable in this case.

Certainly someone more familiar with Honda 250 engines, or someone who does small engine work everyday could tell you more.

I do know that it is possible for the crank to be installed slightly off center between the cases, causing almost constant sideways pressure to be placed against the bearings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, some good ideas. I will check the clutch side to see if somethings loose in there, I really hope thats it, as Ive never split the case before.
I put it together enough to ride it a little, and found the noise I was worried about only happens when the clutch is disengaged in neutral, pull in the clutch and it goes away. What could be rattling in there I wonder?

Oh, and its a suzuki LT250r, not a honda, if that helps any.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lol I noticed that a little too late, unfortunately during the golden era of the H250r, LT250, LT500, etc. I was too young to buy my own and my mother thought anything with a motor was dangerous. My first ride was a lt230. Not till adult hood did I get to own a 2 stroke a little 2002 blaster.
My boys first ride a '95 CR80R slightly detuned, he's 8 and weighs 65lbs.

I really can't say, the little air cooled blaster has 5 no-worry noises for every pending disaster noise.

if you don't already have a service manual, I would try to get one or find a PDF version. It's an invaluable resource when it comes to how tight, how loose, etc. Each and every part/ adjustment is detailed, with wear, play, torque specs.

·
Registered
572 Posts
A little in and out play on the flywheel is normal on these quads and the noise you are hearing is probably the clutch basket, also normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless is gets worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts