Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, been a lurker for a while. I've been puting together an 86 lt250r Which will be my second because I probably shouldn't have sold the first one haha.
Anyways, I finished putting it together today and rode it around a bit. However I've got a problem, the shifter is mushy (which I believe is because of a slightly bent shift shaft spring) but it will not go past 2nd gear when shifting with my foot. 1st and 2nd are easy to shift into. If I want any higher gear I need to reach down and yank up hard on the shifter several times until I hear it click.
The interesting part of all this is that if I take the clutch cover off it seems to shift fine while turning the rear wheels. what I'm thinking is it may be that the pin on the clutch cover that keeps the shift shaft in place may be puting too much pressure on the shifting mechanism And causing binding?
The shift shaft may be slightly bent as well.
This bottom end did have the clutch basket fly apart in it before i got it too so I guess it is possible that a fork got bent when the basket flew apart

Let me know your opinions, if I have to buy new shift forks and split the cases to replace them I'll do it but don't want to if I don't have to

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well no one has commented anything but I'll post up the answer just so it's not a dead thread
I ended up swapping the shift shaft and shift star for the ones out of another bottom end with cracked cases. goes into all gears pretty easy now

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a bit of a new problem now. The shifter does not want to return to the center position every time. If I shift up while riding I sometimes can continue shifting fine but most of the time now it will not upshift again unless I push it back to center so that the shift star arms can lock into the next slot in the drum.
I'm imagining that this is because of a weak shift shaft spring. However the spring felt pretty strong to me. Is it possible that the shift shaft being bent would cause this? The one I put in did not appear to be bent to me but I did not check it against a flat surface.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Anything causing any binding on any of the shifting components could cause an issue like you describe so, yes, a bent shaft could definitely do it. When you insert the shaft through the right hand side of the engine there is a boss machined out of the case that the shaft goes through, if the shaft were bent it could be binding up in that boss or even the one on the other side where it exits the case.

·
Super Moderator
6,688 Posts
hey man sorry we missed the posts did you take and pics of the internals when you pulled it apart? it def sounds like you may have a bent shaft did you grind the shift start down ? also did you replace the spring? trans problems suck did you inspect the drive dogs on the gears and are the forks straight?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have not split the cases on this engine yet.
The original shift shaft was tweaked a little As well as the shaft spring weak, so I replaced the shaft with another I had from a bottom end with cracked cases I've got as well as the shift star assembly. This is when my third post comes in. The shift pedal will not recenter itself if I lift it up not quite enough to shift. If I'm wearing boots while riding it I will have to push it back down a tiny bit to be able to shift up repedatively.
However, I've found sinsce then that if I ride with my running shoes on and shift quickly everything is fine. I have purchased a shift shaft that has been lightened as well as new shift star springs. Hopefully this will take care of the issue. If not, I will be splitting the case and swapping transmissions from the other bottom end I've got(that one shifts smooth and surely)

What do you mean by grinding the shift star? I've never heard of that before

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I was thinking about this more and suddenly a thought popped into my head. I think I remember there being a washer behind the nylon bushing on the shift shaft That I took out of my other bottom end to replace the old bent one with . Which obviously there should not be. I probably won't get to check it out until Sunday because hunting but if that's all that's wrong im gonna be happy yet at the same time mad at whoever janked these quads up
(Friend and i bought 2 from a guy for $300 each and whoever worked on them before should not have been)

·
Super Moderator
6,688 Posts
some people like to grind down the shift lobes on the star for "smoother" easier shifting... its subjective… if my motor is running I can't find neutral on mine unless I'm slowly moving forward, as soon as it shuts down it will shift in neutral. I also have a lock up clutch so there is almost always forward force even with clutch disengaged…

If your miss a washer I would think that could contribute but the fact that you have to fuck with the shifter to move up or down says to me there is to much lash on something do to it being bent or worn…. can you post any vids it would def help out…

$300 bikes you gotta expect there was some joker poking around who didn't know what he was doing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well it took a little longer than Sunday but I've got it figured out and shifting perfectly now. I replaced the shift star springs with new ones(probably didn't need) as well as the shift shaft with spring and the shift pin. It seemed the small ridge/arm/spring holder on the shift shaft was worn down.
-I was correct about there being an extra washer on the old shift shaft but that seemed to have no effect because the nylon bushing was worn-

Here are some vids of what it was doing
https://youtu.be/sPIniiZuHgM

https://youtu.be/oYqhazZxG7c

^don't mind the dirty machine. It's ~30°here so...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts