Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Here it is, I got the bike as a basket case, but it ran and shifted fine, I restored EVERYTHING other than the engine, It started right up no problem, but now it won't shift higher than first gear, it goes to neutral, but no higher, I build motors all the time, so I took it out, split tha cases, inspected everything, replaced ALL the internal bearings and all seals, new clutch, shift drum look great along with the forks, not much wear and no damage, WTF:Dope: I reassembled the motor and it shifted fine on the bench, all gears, up, down, no issue, I assemble the motor, new piston and rings all good, new everything like I said, bolt her in the bike, starts up on third kick, runs great, same shift problem!, first and neutral only!:Blackeye:
anyone got any advise?

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
i believe that member on here PaulieB has had plenty of experiance with them old school Yamaha tranny's. PM him, or wait for him to post in here. ethier way, keep us posted on what you find. welcome to the site. pics of the old schooler is a must.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic-o-the-Beast

Here she is, pretty, just won't SHIFT!:Blackeye:

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
That's a nice bike! And the only thing I could possibly add to this is the clutch being out of adjustment maybe... I don't know though.

·
4stokesLazy2strokesCrazy!
7,770 Posts
Since you said the drum and forks are fine, how are the engagement dogs on the gears?
Is your shift shaft bent?
Have you checked and re-checked your shift adjustment on the clutch side under the cover?
The old big bores like to have the tranny fully unloaded to shift well.
Things that would stop that are:
Clutch adjusted too tight
grooved up clutch basket
stretched clutch cable
very worn clutch arm
very worn clutch rod or ball- or missing ball.

A easy way to check the clutch for drag is to put it in first with the motor off,
pull the clutch in and see if she rolls freely.

Nice bike buddy!
Poor shifting is inherent in the 70's Yamaha big bores- missed shifts evry now and then are the norm but no shifting isn't haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys for the compliments on my bike, just need to get her to shift now, PaulieB, Thanks for the info, I will check all that, It has a new cable, I will loosen up the clutch and try that, I do know there are is wear in the basket, not much, but I will try and clean that all up and try before spliting the case again, nothing is bent, I checked all the parts for damage and wear, everything inside is well within the book spec, so I am hoping the clutch is the culprit.
Thanks again, You all seem like a great bunch of guys, glad I found you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, It's been a while, had to put the YZ on hold, but I got back to it, I split the cases again, checked everything in the trans and clutch and smoothed out the grooves in the clutch basket as you guys, or Paulie did, and put her back together, she started right up, but guess what, nothing but first gear and neutral ARRRGGGHHH!!! Now what?? Help Please, this is driving me nuts, I've done a lot of engines, but never seen this problem before??

·
7,770 Posts
Got me man. At this point start looking for weird and strange stuff? I'm sorry your having so much trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having problems with the yz400 i just picked up also. i ordered new clutch cable and it was insanely hard to make it reach up to the clutch lever... it matched up exactly with the old one that was on it.. and it is very hard to pull, paulie if you read this where do i go from here?

·
7,770 Posts
I'm having problems with the yz400 i just picked up also. i ordered new clutch cable and it was insanely hard to make it reach up to the clutch lever... it matched up exactly with the old one that was on it.. and it is very hard to pull, paulie if you read this where do i go from here?
I'm not sure if the 78' had this but my 79' has a square clutch adjuster that has to line up and fit with the pressure plate. Sometimes it doesn't line up. Heres a pic to help. The 79' pressure plate is on the right vs the easier to adjust Banshee pressure plate on the left. It could be your problem is the square clutch adjuster is not seating in the groove.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts