Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a tech at a chrysler dealer, and we've been getting TONS of the 6.7 cummins trucks in with turbo problems. Check engine light comes on....turbo doesnt spool...so no boost. Makes for a real dog-turd of a truck. Pull a code for No boost-mechanical failure. WHat happens is that the turbo and intake tubes and intake manifold soot up HORRIBLY, and the variable vanes dont operate properly, so the turbo basically goes into shutdown. Listen to chryslers fix #1....they give the dealers a special tool...listen to this....you unbolt the speed sensor from the turbo (after you take a bunch of shit off to access it) then you bolt the special tool in place of the speed sensor. The tool is actually a jig. Next you DRILL A HOLE INTO THE TURBO'S BEARING HOUSING! Then you use a different insert in the jig and tap the hole. Next you thread in an adaptor with a hose on it, and clean the turbo with special turbocharger cleaner, obviously non flammable or volatile in any way. you then plug the hole with a little pipe plug you could find at any Tom dick and harry hardware store. Clean all intake tubes and the manifold with their EGR system cleaner. Reassemble. Flash the ECM with an updated file. Check for proper operation. Roll it. Seemed like kind of a risky maneuver the first time I did it. THat jig they supply really is neat, it works awesome. you cant screw it up, other than drilling in too far. they supply collars for the drill bit and tap though to prevent that, but still, a risky maneuver for the new apprentice such as myslef...haha. This usually fixes them, but there's a second TSB for the trucks that come back AGAIN after the first TSB is done. Replace Turbocharger....haha Good thing these vehicles are under warranty...dealer cost on the turbo would be 1400 bucks....

Just wondered if any dodge owners have had trouble with these? if chrysler issues TSB's for it, its gotta be a commonplace occurance

BTW...I'm still not impressed with the performance even when one runs right....

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
1400.00? That's it? Just had my turbo on my Dmax replaced. Ran 3800.00, and yes gotta love the warranty. I remember when i was a tech. at a Dodge dealership in the mid 90's. They had like 13 recalls on the new body ( 93.5 and up ) style. Some of the "fixes" they gave us were just retarded. Must be a Dodge thing.

Just realized you had dealer cost on the turbo price. Look at the mark up on that shit LOL.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have an 08 cummins work truck. Just turned 4500, but only had for two weeks. I'll have this thing brok'n in short order.

My personal truck is a 00F350 crew DRW 7.3 6spd. 275XXX on it. Only had small maintenance.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they 1400 bucks is what it would cost the dealer....not a normal customer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 6.7 3500 6 speed cummins that I am currently going through this problem. I was driving back from location to camp and the truck fell on its face and acted like the turbo was not spooling, and it sounded like the exhaust break was running?? i tried to dribe and all it did was dump out smoke the truck has all deletes. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
the local drug dealers bought a ford f 250 light duty with a turbo diesel in it ... you shoulda heard this when they first bought it like running on 6 outa 8 cyl , and a bad wastegate spring it would miss till it spooled up they would rev the crap outa the poor crippled thing then shift and it would drop its nuts in the street like bog no more boost till it reved a while and the waste gate shut .
i diagnosed this they did seam to get it running really good after that .. not a bad truck to drive around all day and sell drugs..
well this state policeman once told me 3 years ago i live for the day i pull it over and theres drugs in the car..
umm well he did get that chance but the punk tossed it out the window.. like 2 ounces of cocaine .. hmm now all these drugs busts ...
so once in a while it comes around.. hopefully he gets his jail time..
anny body need a volvo saab a/r turbo i have one here cheep , and a garret upgrade for a dodge shadow...thats like almost new
thanxz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts