Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TRX450R that was given to me. The transmission and cases are shot, so I need a new engine. I've decided on a 250R engine. I plan on building this engine to meet the following criteria: reliable, 55-60hp, broad powerband, runs on pump gas. I can just about bet that I'm looking at 330+cc with porting, matched pipe, etc. My biggest questions are which specific parts? Which brands? Does the tranny hold up at that power level? Clutch? What size carb?

·
Registered
695 Posts
these engines are quite reliable and plenty of torque can be obtained from them provided all components are matched according to where you want the power AT. for all around riding i'd suggest a stroker crank on a OEM cylinder or an aftermarket pro-X, CT ect. and run atleast a 38mm carb.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do, Bansheekx, thanks. Doesn't really promote discussion though... dang.

Also, thanks 86quadr. I'm tryinbg to stay out of the bottom unless the stroker crank is a have-to-have item. I want to be able to put another cylinder on and go if I screw this one up. Can't really do that unless both are set up for stroker.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Will do, Bansheekx, thanks. Doesn't really promote discussion though... dang.

Also, thanks 86quadr. I'm tryinbg to stay out of the bottom unless the stroker crank is a have-to-have item. I want to be able to put another cylinder on and go if I screw this one up. Can't really do that unless both are set up for stroker.
there's no sense in buiding an engine without going into the bottom end. especially if there is plans to add a fresh B/B cylinder to the mix. not to mention, these engines are growing more scarce by the day. the old crank can be built (stock or stroked) reletively cheap by comparison to what other components cost and is the best insurance that you can possibly buy for the build. just my .02 wurf. :Thumbsup2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... fair enough. Very good point. I plan on going with CPi for the cylinder, but have no clue who to send a crank to. Any recommendations for a builder or stroke size? I know there are a few other threads detailing this, but they were outdated. Do you or anyone else have a cc range they'd recommend for a build with 60ish-hp and a wide powerband? I wanted to stay below a 350cc build to stay away from the crank, but now I'm considering *** or larger after your previous comment.

·
Registered
695 Posts
if going with a CPI cylinder, i'd contact calvin at CP Industries and talk with him about his 72mm or 74.5mm bore Sphynx on top of a 78mm stroked crank. this combo will give you all the torque you'll ever need, giving you a VERY respectable power range and wont have to rev it to the moon. as far as crank builders go....... give neil at pritchers small engine in NC(can be contacted over at exriders or r-central), mr crankshaft, or crankworks.

hope this helps

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With any of the sphynx kits (350 and above), what pipe would be recommended? I'd like to have it ported too, so who would be my best choice for a setup like that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts