Everything2Stroke Forum banner

2004 Break in time????

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kawirider79 
#1 ·
I just rebuit my 125 and it runs perfect again but idk what to do to break it in. Should i let it idle a while in the garage while holding the rpms kinda up or would riding it a little easy for like a half an hour wor. Also im mixing 42:1 right now so should i mix richer will it a new piston? :thanks:

#2 · (Edited)
start it, let it idle for a minute n shut off for a few...repeat! n each time rev it a couple times, allow to run a few minutes longer each time till u reach a 10 minutes run period n let it cool. then you can idle around the yard for a few minutes (jus puttin and playin with the throttle) let it cool n repeat a couple times reving/gettin on it a lil more each time...thas wut i do (remember to do leak test n make sure yur enguine is warmed up before you hammer on it)

#3 · (Edited)
...one of the hottest debates in the game and most people have their own variations that work for them. Some of the common denominators between most everyone's plan are:

* to use additional mix-oil during break-in
* heat cycle the engine, allowing it to heat up and cool down in increasing time intervals
* not to put excessive strain or load on the engine for a specified time while increasing the load put upon the engine during the break-in period

What we do:

* mix 16 oz (475 ml) mix-oil with 4 gallons of gas, resulting in 32:1 ratio
* heat cycles of warm up, easy 5 minute run, easy 10 minute run, easy 20 minute run with cool downs in between
* burn the rest of the four gallons going very easy on the throttle, avoiding steep inclines, etc.
* mix 16 oz mix-oil with 5 gallons of gas, resulting in a 40:1 ratio
* replace old spark plug with new spark plug
* take it easy on the engine while slowly adding increasing load to it as the first tank of 40:1 progresses
* start checking for small jetting alterations that may be needed
* pay attention for air leaks, coolant leaks, etc
* after everything seems kosher, start enjoying the bike remembering to ALWAYS warm it up thoroughly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.