Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the gimpster
2,607 Posts
i think his brain was prolly fried. you would need a hotter ignition for better spark to fully ignite the highly compressed methanol fuel.

·
Taking Names...
3,441 Posts
i have a question...what if you mixed methanol with gas...would that work or would youstill need a hot spark and high comp? or could you just add a littl ebit to your gas to give it a boost? where I work they put methanol in the semi's to keep them from freezing...

·
Registered
47 Posts
easy to do

Ok, I run methanol in 3 different 2 stroke motors, lt250r, cr125, kx250. 1. and very important, meth will not mix with most oils...must use Klotz BeNOL racing castor. 2. Must jet your carb wide open, probablly better to get a big bell carb. 3.Use a hotter spark plug. 4. Porting is great, will let the monster breath...but is not necessary. The KX is stock and runs well!! 5. Be very carefull with your jetting, too lean, as with any 2 stroke will fry the piston, actually burn a hole right through it. 6. Also, a different ignition is not necessary, the methanol burns cooler than gas and preignition is not that big of a problem, however, if your do port for higher RPMs, a spark advance would be helpful. Check out www.esr250.com and www.ftzracing.com both are experts in meth engines.

·
cocky knowitall bastard
2,717 Posts
oldmanlt250r said:
different ignition is not necessary.
That is not necessarily true, I experienced tons of preignition problems when I switched my R to alky. Bear in mind I have had previous experience with alky so I know the ins and outs of jetting it. Once meth goes lean it is very easy to preignite it. It is also more particular with timing and dome design, there is a fine line. Its very forgiving up to a point then it tears shit up. After my first experience I wouldnt hesitate to run anything on alky, then after the honda I would only recommend it when all the mods necessary are made and zero corners cut. Most important is dome design, ignition, and jetting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts