Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to adjust the idle on a 1992 ktm 250exc? Do i use engine oil or gear oil in the crank case and what kind? What comes out of the crank case breather hose? just water?

·
Registered
189 Posts
might not hurt to invest in a service manual. shouldnt be more than $20. i have several ktm but none are 250 models so i cant answer your questions with 100% accuracy. dont know what carb you got. most have a screw on the side or idle could be part of the choke assemble like a PJ. hard to say what oil was recomended. at one point ktm said to use 80wt but i wouldnt ever use that shit. rotella 15w-40 is what i use but alot of other oils will work fine. breather hose is just a breather. should be nothing come out unless the bike was tipped upside down in a crash then oil may come out. is there water coming out ? some ktm had no weep hole so when the pump seal went bad it filled the tranny with water. 250 may have been the same way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a khein carb on it and it says to spin the choke lever to adjust idle but it doesnt seem to be doing much.ive been trying to get a service manual buy have yet to find one for the right year.i think it is water coming out because it has no smell and is very runny.i thought maybe it was condensation from the engine because it was about 35 degrees when i started it and i think it stopped once it was warmed up.do you think it could be condensation?

·
Registered
189 Posts
heres a engine manual and owners manual http://www.repairmanual.com/category/1992-ktm-250exc/

if you can only afford one, i would get the engine book. owners manual probly wont talk much about the engine. its mainly general maintenance and crap like that.

sounds like you have the keihin pj. the idle is part of the choke knob. if turning the knob does nothing that usually means your jetting is out of whack. take out the oil plug and that will tell if you got water in there. let me know what you find

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya the idle is part of the choke knob but im not sure which way to turn it.when i turn it left the idle goes up a lil but not much.i asked a mechanic and they said the water was probly just condensation

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the PJ (Piece of Junk) the choke knob is turned left as in loosen a screw to increase the idle speed and righty tighty to reduce the idle speed. Don't get discouraged when trying to adj. the idle speed and mixture on that carb as it's a real pain to get it to work. I know, I have 1991 with the same carb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1993 ktm 250 exc Keihin PJ carb issues

Can anyone please help???? I have a 1993 Ktm 250 exc with the PJ carb on mine. bike starts on first kick and idles smooth. plug is light chocolate milk color. twist throttle past 1/4 throttle and it breaks up. sounds lean. i tried going up and down on needle. just rebuilt bike with new wisco piston rings bearings all new gaskets top to bottom and new crank seals. any idea what needle should be in my bike? 1000 foot elevation in Vermont. it hass a needle that says DGG on it. shops are no help since their microfish only goes to 94

1 - 11 of 11 Posts