Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wut up peeps just got done rebuilding a buddy's 250r from ground up spent over $1200 in parts now that it's all put together I'm having issues with water getting into the crankcase... first time replaced the bearing mechanical seal rubber seal and porcelain seal I had the coolant draining out the weap hole opened it back up and the plastic on the mechanical seal was broken so I grabbed a new one today installed it all got the bike fired up for the first time in 5years was doing good for a little while was working on idle then the weap started leaking again I know it's mixed in the crankcase kuz it was milky!! I haven't opened it back up yet but I'm guessing the mechanical seal has broken yet again... I'm wondering if there is an illustration or video of the install to make sure I'm doing it exactly right? I'm guessing I tightened the impeller to much which is cracking the mech seal but I couldn't get the cover on without tightening as much as I did... anyone had issues like this?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
I know nothing about mechanical issues on your machine BUT; Maybe you’ve got a gasket problem somewhere else on the engine. When looking at the illustration that Freddy sent, I don’t see a bunch of connections to your crankcase?
It would appear that the only place where water can enter the crankcase is in the area of shaft #7? Back in my Honda wrenching days, it was always frustrating to find out that a whole engine disassembly was always was necessary to find a leak. Maybe an air leak check would help track down your problem.
:Grin:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Make sure shaft isn't grooved where seal rides. Use a good quality seal, not the cheapest Egay junk you can find. Pack the seal with grease. Make sure housing is clean so everything bottoms out when assembled. If possible check that housing and cover are flat.

And guys, it leaks into transmission, not crankcase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts