Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys .. I have had this LT for about 9 years ... it has set for a few years and I just got around to fixing it . just punched it out to the last size on the sleeve 080 . its got wiseco piston stock carb with factory jet size , stock reeds , no filter box with uni filter, FMF Gold exhaust .anyways .. got it together with new piston .kicked her a few times it started up s I started breaking it in about an hour into break in the LT started missing .. checked the plug and i was fouled.. so I go a new plug an put .. but the lt wont kick over .. so I ran a compression test .. 49 PSI ... any idea where my compression is going ? and what is a good compression ? any help would be wonderful

·
Registered
208 Posts
Could be from a bad boring job (assuming you were breaking it in properly). You may have been running it lean as well with the aftermarket pipe, open air cleaner, and stock jetting. Did you check compression after getting the engine put back together? Around 155psi is what you want but several factors determine the exact amount.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Take the cylinder back to the person who did the work, 2 strokes are difficult to hone correctly without the proper tools. Since your problems are happening so close to a fresh bore size you probably don’t need to look any further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys .. i just spaced when i put the jug on . i should have checked compession .guess i just got excited to have my LT running after so many years . im calling the shop the did the bore today . do i need new ring . and what do i need to do to keep it from going lean .. if that was the problem . thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
To fix the lean situation you'll have to re jet it but you can't do that until its fixed. Problem is if its damaged really bad you'll need to re sleeve the cylinder or get another one with stock bore but you won't know how bad it is until you take it apart.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Are you 100% you installed the piston & rings correctly? Piston has to go in usually with an arrow or "E" on the exhaust side. Rings need to be in their grooves with the gaps at the locator posts, otherwise you can hang a ring on a port and destroy the ring + more.

If the rings/piston are right, make the shop tell you and show you the measurements & math to make sure the piston matches the bore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks guys for all the help ... UPDATE pulled off the head had a bad head gasket ! now I have a compression of 134 PSI muchhhhh better .. but now I had a water pump gear go out .. ugh! cant wait for the new parts:) im sure i'll need help rejetting once I get the old girl back togetter ! again thanks guys !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 85 lt250r my friend honed it out for the new 71.00mm piston and rings hot it back to gather hard to start,get it running put in gear start release the clutch and wants to die, and doesn't feel like there's any compress increase,no oil blow by in case, what else could it be

1 - 8 of 8 Posts