Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1986 LT250R bottom end rebuild?

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Shifter250 
#1 ·
Looking for a little help here, I recently bought a 1986 LT250R. This is my first two stroke, the thing starts and idles fine, but i want to break it down and restore from the ground up. This will be my first project and although i am not a mechanic I want the challenge. Anyway as far as the engine for a bottom end rebuild where can i find a crank that will fit , can;t seem to find one, are the other years compatible, hence maybe buying a bottom end kit for an 88 and installing in an 86? Any help would be great. Thanks

#2 ·
Hi Jack,
85 and 86 are the only crank that will work on your quad.
87-92 are totally different.
Also, you can get a crank rebuild kit..meaning a rod kit with the lower bearing, then have it rebuilt.

Joe

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

So I was going to rebuild the carb, top end and open the case to ensure there is nothing floating around. Can you recommend any sights with the proper parts. As it looks right now, it appears the 85-86 are hard to find parts for, but this may be my inexperience in the area. Any advice on tools, parts or where to start? Thanks.

#4 ·
aftermarket parts are hard to find, especially performance wise for the LT's 85-86 motors.
I have 2 LT's ...one 86 and the other 88.
The 86, I split the crank and put an 88 rod in it to make it an 8mm "Long Rod" set-up. (a little more involved but worth it)
my 88 is a full "drag" set-up...not for trail riding.
Polaris piston, 4mm stroke, drag port cylinder, ported boyseen rad valve with carbon fiber reeds , lectron alky carb, 1-3 override trans ..the list goes on..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.